Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Why Am I Here?

Until tonight I thought I was here to heal my cancer.  But tonight may have revealed to me that I am here for something else.

As I started to settle in for the night, 8pm, I heard the faintest sound.  Something did not seem right.  I was not completely sure that it was not someone's television.  Nosey me started to explore.  And I found my friend Joque screaming.  Her husband had just, moments before, passed away.

As I sat there with one arm around Joque and one arm around her deceased husband, Steve, I searched my heart and soul for the words to help.  All I knew was to start praising God and to lead Joque in that direction as well.

I met Joque and Steve my first day here.  They were here from Nigeria.  Steven was an attorney there and they have four school aged children.  I could tell that Steve was pretty sick and had learned over the last few days that he was on a little more morphine than I am on.  I have spent several hours over the last few weeks cheering them up and helping them see God's grace in all of this.  I was happy to know that they were very strong christians.

So, tonight, I knew that Joque would want me to stay with her.  What I did not know until a few minutes ago is that Joque is a pastor of a church in Nigeria.  I could not believe it.  Why had she not told me this and why have I been counseling her?  Either way, I was honored to be there to help her through the worst moments of her life.

My heart breaks for my new friend and I sure hope that I said the right words to help.


4 comments:

  1. God bless you Cheryl- what a difference you make - even in the most challenging days for yourself, you are serving others. You are quite an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you see? If you would have known she was a pastor, you would have been a little intimidated to counsel her. God for sure used you and he is not done with you yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Christians, we are called to lift up the Lord Jesus Christ, and then He will do the rest. Keep lifting Him up, and YOUR way will become clear. Praying for you....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe she needed counseling from you, a different perspective so to say. Glad God put you in their lives. You're a blessing to us all����

    ReplyDelete