Sunday, October 4, 2015

Slang!

I have realized that I use a lot of slang in my language.  There are patients & families from all over the world at this clinic.  Most of them know some English.  Working with international students at the University has made me realize that I need to speak slowly to people that are not fluent in English.  I can manage that, but the other day I told someone that my daughter had a "ball".  After I saw the look on their face I realized what I had done.  I told them that meant that she had a "great time".  My daughter in not as aware and I find myself stepping in to correct what she is trying to communitcate.  She is catching on and adjusting language, but not as much as she needs to.

"Ya'll" is another coloquial slang word that we use a lot.  That causes people to wrinkle their foreheads.  I end up explaining that one too.

There are other cultural differences that I am having fun taking note of.  I will try to update you as I think of them.

I think I have made the best friends with a couple from Nigeria and a few groups from Australia.  So far I have met couples from the U.S. from Missouri and New York.

God is definately preparing me for something great.  This experience is nothing less than Grace.

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you 3 and thank you for the updates. You've always had a great sense of humor...the best medicine �� Love & prayers ��

    ReplyDelete