Tuesday, March 31, 2015

I Should Have Been A Fish

X-rays show that my right lung has more fluid in it than a few weeks ago.  My left lung has much less fluid.  I simply can not breathe underwater.  In addition, this condition really makes my ribs and chest hurt.  To take a deep breath is a challenge because it starts a coughing frenzy.  

The doctor was smart enough NOT to put me in the hospital.  He said that there are way too many bacteria that you can pick up in a hosptal.  One of the reasons that I thought he would put me in the hospital is that I have had a fever that the oncologists will not tolerate.  They want me to go to the ER if my temp is over 100.4 on and off for 24 hours.  Indeed, I have had a temp like that for a few days.

So, here is what we are doing.  I had a test today that indicated that I need to be on oxyen.  The medical supply company is coming with the oxygen in a little bit.  I will also have an overnight study where I have to wear a thingy on my wrist to determine if I also need oxygen at night.  On my wrist?...whatever!

I had multiple blood tests to make sure that the fever is not bacteria, viral or whatever.  If I don't have a fever for those reasons then we know it is the tumors that are causing the fever.  This is not unusual.  If I do have a fever for any of those reasons then I will be on some heavy antibiotice...maybe even in the hospital in isolation with an IV at that point.  But we will try to avoind that.  The problem with a cancer patient is that an infection can turn into sepsis pretty fast when the white blood cell count is low.  This is a very dangerous condition.  

I will endure this too.  It is all part of the game at this point.  I am looking forward to these issues clearing up in the next month or so.  Come on chemo!



No comments:

Post a Comment