Friday, March 14, 2014

Managing Your Own Care!

Let me tell you about a few instances where I had to straighten out my health care in spite of my fabulous medical team.

During my first Chemo Treatment I found out that Benadryl makes me want to climb the walls.  "No problem", the nurse tells me.  She will document in my file and next time I will get a Rx strength Claritin.  So my second Chemo comes around, again.  I remind the doctors about the problem and they will order the Claritin when they order my Chemo cocktails.  But when I crawled in the Chemo bed they showed me a big bad of Benedryl all ready to be emptied into my veins.  I had to make a big deal out of it, to get them to stop.  My allergic reaction could likely be worse than the first one.

This last time I received chemo, the first nurse of the day wrote down my weight wrong.  I think I told you about that.  I had to pick up the phone and call my doctor's cell phone (he should not have given me his number if he did not want me to use it) and have him sign new orders.

Let me step up on my soap box for a minute:

We are all smart, strong and capable.  Stop letting others run your life.  We do not need the government telling us how to live.  Ask questions and do research so that you know what is going on around you. When I found out I had cancer, several of my friends and family jumped in and helped me with research.  I knew what doctors I should go to, I knew what drugs I should get, I found a chat room of other ovarian cancer patients, and I have prevented problems because I speak up and stay on top of my healthcare.




1 comment:

  1. You are absolutely correct! The days of "the doctor must know what he is talking about" or "she's a nurse, surely she knows!" are long gone. I respect the profession but they are overworked with too much to do, as we all are. We have to pay attention and help take care of ourselves. YOU, have done a spectacular job!! Love and prayers are always coming your way.

    ReplyDelete