Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Words From the Wise

A dear friend, psychiatrist and all around amazing person read my last blog post.  She took note that I am too tired at the end of the day to exercise.  That prompted her to call me and insist that I am doing too much.  Those of you that know me, know that she is right.  I am 150 miles per hour all of the time.

This friend has survived cancer and ran a cancer support group for 5 years.  She told me that when she looked at the patients that did not survive, they all had the same thing in common.  They did not get rid of the stress in their lives.

I am a type A personality and don't know how to function if I don't have about 10 things going at one time.  I have to figure out how to take it easy, learn how to just be a bit more laid back and simply chill out.  

For me, this is tougher than fighting cancer.  I feel guilty if I do too much sitting around.  But if you saw me the week after chemo, you would see that I do take it easy...I don't have a choice.  Any extra activity or stress just makes me more nauseated.  Yuk!  But then I make up for it between chemo sessions.  I mow the yard, play around in the flower beds, clean house, etc...  Does this sound familiar to you Moms out there?

Maybe we seem to have more instances of Cancer because our life styles are becoming faster paced with a lot more stress.  We have to stop judging people that know how to take care of themselves.  I used to call that selfish, but now I see that it is not.  It is just common sense.  You can be very giving with something else, but selfish with your ME time. 

I am a work in progress. 

1 comment:

  1. The hardest thing to change is ingrained behavior. What is important is channeling the energy into something inherently relaxing instead of physical or mental "work". Like crafting. I knit and it keeps me busy, feeling like I'm accomplishing something. But I use complicated enough patterns to keep my mind engaged away from stressful thoughts and the rest of me can physically relax.
    Maybe the garden is like that for you. As long as you let someone else do the heavy lifting!
    You have come so far and you are my hero.

    ReplyDelete