Thursday, February 20, 2014

Surgically Induced Menopause

No one warned me that I would be plunged into menopause overnight.  I guess when the doctors remove your estrogen producing parts, it makes a difference.

Yep!  Hot flashes, can't sleep and a desire to kill or be killed... are what menopause is all about. 

A phone call to the oncologist does no good what-so-ever.  Hormone replacement therapy is not an option for ovarian cancer survivors.  It is a strong possibility that hormones play a role in the onset of the cancer, to begin with. 

There are natural alternatives out there, but some are shown to interfere with chemo therapy.  When I started this adventure my pharmacist (yep, I have my own that is assigned to my case) took me off of many of my vitamins and minerals for that exact reason.

So, what do I do?  They prescribe anti-anxiety drugs or anti-depressants.  I told them that I was not anxious or depressed.  But they assured me that society would be a better place if I took something.  We will see...






3 comments:

  1. Things for which to be grateful: you are here to experience the . . . joys of menopause. Have you ever really looked at the word? MEN O PAUSE. Too funny, it just struck me. A man must have created the word. I love you, Cheryl, and hold you in my heart each and every day. You are alive and kicking, against all odds. Truly a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not fun, but you will get used to it. Just keep a spare nightshirt handy and remember that getting up and running cool water on your wrists will help.
    I tried Black Cohash, one of the natural things. Don't waste your money.
    Love you!�� sweaty or not.

    ReplyDelete