Saturday, February 22, 2014

Making A Difference Every Day!



I talked earlier about the 4 hour shopping trip that should have taken 1 hour.  People kept stopping me to talk about cancer.  What a blessing!  When I finally finished my shopping and got in my car...I could not stop smiling.
 
Wow!  I can not tell you how it feels when you realize that you just made a difference. I get that with my job every day.  When a student has a problem and I am able to help fix it or guide them to a better conclusion, then I have made a difference.  I know that my staff gets that same feeling when they have done the same thing.  I hear it in their voices and see it on their faces when they are talking about their students.

We have the most amazing conversations on the shuttle bus that takes us from the hotel to the medical center.  Remember that everyone on the bus has cancer or is a caregiver for someone that has cancer.  One day, I promised a man from Kuwait that I would pray for him.  His son had to translate, but the look on his face was priceless when he realized what I had said.  I wanted to hug him, but was unsure of his cultural belief in that area.  

I hope that when I talk to someone about my cancer I have made a difference.  Maybe they are more aware of a person's struggles with this disease.  Maybe they are more aware of what faith in a powerful God means.  Maybe they see an example of a person that is very happy, even in the face of diversity.  Maybe they see a person that is passionate about others.  Maybe they see ME!

2 comments:

  1. You are making a difference to people you don't even know. I have an employee in one of my stores. She was just diagnosed, stage 2 ovarian cancer. I told her about you the other night and she was so lifted up you could see it. You are giving hope to anyone who hears about you. I'll say it again, you are my hero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me realize that even the little things make a difference. I try to live that motto that you taught me everyday!!

    ReplyDelete