Tuesday, December 10, 2013

What Would You Do?

As I walk around with my bald head I have noticed many different reactions.  (Remember that I have chosen not to wear hats, scarves or wigs.) I do not get offended by any of the reactions.  I do get doors held open much more often.  I also make a few people nervous.

I actually like it when people are bold enough to wish me well.  I get a lot of "good for you" or "keep fighting" comments.  It is kind of empowering and feels good that everyone wants me to fight & win.

Children are the best.  They love to look.  I try to take the opportunity to speak to them, if their mom lets them talk to me.  Some ask me if my hair will grow back.  The questions are very honest.  I was able to help one mother explain that this is what their Grandma was going through.  

It makes me think about how I react to people that have physical challenges.  I would never want to offend someone, but I would like to show compassion or help in some possible way.  Thus, I take a few seconds to look and assess the level of the disability.  I hope it does not look like I am staring, but I really am.  Then I try to hold doors or get out of the way.

2 comments:

  1. Ms. Campbell,
    I just wanted to say that seeing you at graduation today made one of the best days of my life that much more memorable. Getting a hug from you as I walked off stage was the one moment today when I was brought to tears. Your energy was just as radiant as always, and I speak for our whole study abroad group when I say that your bravery is an absolute inspiration. Keep fighting the good fight, you are always in my prayers, and I hope to see you again very soon. Sending my love your way.
    -Ronnie Poole

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are beautiful with or without hair, inside and out:)
    Letter from JESUS:
    Never forget that I am continually interceding to our Father on your behalf. You will walk through many fires & trials in life. Expect them. Satan will try to distract, discourage, and defeat you. Resist him. REST in the unwavering assurance of MY Power, MY Promises & MY Provision. I will lead you only where My grace will sustain you. You will not always understand the divine plan I have for your life, Trust Me. In Me and Me alone lies your joy, strength, and your success in life. Love, Jesus

    ReplyDelete