Friday, May 29, 2015

Why All of This Fluid?

One of my biggest challenges with this cancer has been the fluid build up.  After draining the abdomen twice the doctors decided on a permanent port that I would drain at home.  It stayed in for two months until it got infected.  Because of the infection the scars are worse than any of the others that I have.

I ask the doctors why I have so much fluid in my belly and they give me a few reasons:
- The cancer that I have leaks fluid
- The body builds up fluid to protect itself

This time around with this recurrence of cancer, my lungs have been filling up.  After the doctor has drained a liter of fluid off of both lungs twice, he stated that he would have to put a port under each arm so that I could drain at home.  But thank God the chemo has helped the fluid remain stable at about half full.

I asked the doctor why I have so much fluid build up in my lungs this time.  He said that there are three reasons that I have fluid:
-The cancer is leaking fluid
- The fluid in the abdomen is looking for more room and leaks into my chest wall and eventually into my lungs
- The lymph system is unable to do its job and move the fluid because the cancer in my lymph nodes is clogging my lymph system.

No comments:

Post a Comment