Wednesday, May 21, 2014

From the Doctor's Mouth to My Ears

It was so GREAT to hear the doctor tell me that there are NO signs of cancer!

I had triple contrast CT scans on Monday and yesterday I met with the oncologist.  I have to go back for CT scans every three months.

Very few people go through stage 4 cancer the way that I did.  I will always give God the glory for this miracle.  It was supposed to take me 4 to 5 years to get through this...IF I could get through it.  

I asked the doctor, if he had to guess, how long would he think I have had cancer.  He said that he likes to ask people what major event happened 4 years ago in their life.  I told him that my husband died 3 & 1/2 years ago.  He stated that was a large enough event to possibly cause this cancer for me.  He thinks it is a strong possibility that stress has caused this cancer.

He went on to tell me about a new study that one of his colleagues just finished with mice & stress & cancer.  He has been able to prove that mice with cancer cells in their body can fight the cancer if stress is removed and the ones with the stress added to their body develop cancer.

It is a huge stretch for an oncologist to tell a patient that they will not see the cancer return...if I stay positive, take care of my body & try to remain stress free.  That is what our final conversation was about. 

***please watch my blog for the next few weeks or so, I plan to post some reflections on what I would do differently & what decisions worked out to be the best***

3 comments:

  1. Cheryl, My oncologist at Mayo told me the same thing about stress. John and I had recently broke up after 26 years of marriage and bingo, I have cancer. Glad to hear all is well with you. Keep up the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca, Is there anything that I can do to help you. I am a great cheerleader at how to find the positives in a situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in the reconstruction stage of my breast cancer and almost finished treating at Mayo, for now anyway. I read your blogs, each and every one, and thank God for your encouragement and for His healing power. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete