Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Neulasta Is A Wicked Drug

If you think that chemo is rough...it is!  But it does not hold a candle to Neulasta.  This injection was given in my belly fat to increase my white blood cell count.  (I think I already told you that)

I was unprepared for the type of pain that was suggested I MIGHT have.

6 days after that shot I woke up to some serious pain, but I had no idea it would get worse.  I had to text my daughter to come take me to the ER.  I took a big ol' wonderful pain pill and waited.  By the time my daughter got back here, I was feeling a good bit better.  Then I made the mistake of letting the pain pill wear off.

The next day was not as painful, but the pain had spread to more bones:  my lower back, sternum, thighs, knees, arms, elbows, wrists and upper back.  I still needed pain pills.

The third day is much better, as I was able to get up and go to work.  I have very little pain as long as I do not stand up fast or lean over.  It seems that when my blood pressure changes the pain throbs through my body.  It is most scary when my chest hurts.  Some research indicates that all of this is normal.  It seems that many patients go to the hospital thinking they are having a heart attach. 

The most deadly issue is if the spleen swells and ruptures.  I have been pushing on that area and I don't seem to have a problem with my spleen.

The blessing is that my daughter stayed in bed with me all day.  Even better, she had a little precious kitten with her.  How can you be miserable with all of that curled up in bed with you.  It made terrible pain into one of the best days of my life.




No comments:

Post a Comment